A Guide to Tuning Your Car
Electronic tuning of diesel engines has been known for almost a decade. Before that there are limited scopes to enhance the performance tuning. With the introduction of electronic engine management, this has changed. It was possible for tuners now to build on the excess air that the diesel ingests through the air filters to squirt more fuel that what is normally done. After this, around late 1990s, computer controlled engines were manufactured that gave tuners much greater scope to improve engine efficiency.
Why Tune your Car?
For enthusiastic drivers, it is quite attractive to extract extra performance from their vehicles. Diesel tuning aims to improve the engine efficiency and enhance normal driving conditions by around ten to fifteen per cent. With the cost of fuel going up with each passing day, there is a more need of making your car economical by boosting its performance and with improved engine torque.
Things to Remember before you Tune
There is a number of cheap tuning software available online. But, not all of them are good and your car might not be ready for a remap. Here are some of the important points to consider before you have your diesel tuned –
- Before you think about tuning, always check the health of your car. Check its engine, tyres, suspension and more. In case you have any engine problems, ensure that you get it sorted before you think about tuning.
- Always research about tuning so that you know exactly what you will be getting as many of these processes are irreversible.
- It is best to talk to tuning companies and judge them based on their answers. Compare their offers and then check their websites for customer feedback so that you can be sure that you are picking the right one.
- You should eliminate any service provider making questionable claims and also those that appear unreliable.
- It is best to look for service providers that provide great after-sales service.
- Also, look for providers that offer insurance as it will help you in case anything goes wrong during the tuning process.
- It is important to see your tuner face to face by taking your car to them and you can ask them appropriate questions regarding the performance of your car.
Which Type of Tuning is the Best?
Diesel electronic tuning involves the modification of the electronic instructions that is sent to the different engine components. Chipping and tuning software rewrites changes the software written to the ECU using carefully developed modified programs that changes the engine management instructions. You can also opt for plug and play packages that intercept the standard ECU signals by placing a small box of electronics between the ECU and the key engine components. The effectiveness of these will vary depending on the cost and the kind of software that is being used.